Virtual ID Card
Aadhaar is the main proof of identity nowadays. Everywhere you want to submit your KYC details, you have to provide your Aadhaar number. Keeping Aadhaar number public is not a good choice as Aadhaar contains sensitive information like your bank details. However, UIDAI is now giving you the option to keep your Aadhaar number private. You need to generate VID and use it as your Aadhaar number. VID stands for Virtual ID. It is a temporary 16 digit number randomly mapped with your Aadhaar number. You can change your Virtual ID and generate a new one at any time. The concept of Virtual ID is a useful security feature for your Aadhaar number introduced by UIDAI. The process of generation of VID is simple. To Generate your VID, just follow the steps below.
Steps for generating VID:
- First of all, visit https://uidai.gov.in on any browser and go to section Aadhaar services. Under that section, you will find Virtual ID (VID) Generation option. Click on that.
- Enter your Aadhaar Number
- Then enter Security Code and click Send OTP option
- Enter OTP that you received in your registered mobile number
- Check Generate VID (If you want to generate a new VID)
- Check Retrieve VID (If you had a VID before and you forget it)
- Now click on Submit button
- You will get a screen as below
- Boom! Check your message inbox for your Virtual ID. Use this number in place of Aadhaar number anywhere in India.
Read it before you generate your Virtual ID:
- You can use your VID in a manner similar to using Aadhaar
- It is not possible to derive Aadhaar number from your VID
- You can change your VID anytime, anywhere but after 24 hours of your previous VID generation
- If you do not change your previous VID but forget it, you can also retrieve it
- In my personal opinion, you should generate a new VID in a regular interval of time
Looking for e Aadhaar? Click here>> e Aadhaar | Download Aadhaar Card Online